Mother’s and Father’s Day are just around the corner with only just a month separating the two. While everyone struggles to come up with gifts for parents, why not sit back and reflect on the essentials that you feel mom and dad could really use?
In today’s world, life is often nothing short of hectic. How much time have you spent with your parents? And by time, I mean quality time. Here are a few things you may consider doing with your parents:
- Dedicate Mother’s and Father’s Day to mom and dad. Turn off those distracting devices and spend time together at home, cook a meal together, watch your favourite TV programs, play some games – any activity that allows you to spend quality time with the ones who brought you up.
- If staying home is too boring, bring mom and dad out for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Reminisce over the good old times and perhaps even learn something new about your childhood that you may have forgotten.
- Take a stroll together in the park = it is both invigorating and refreshing. It’s healthy for the body, mind and soul. Chat along the way and build a greater bond with your parents.
Sometimes, we could be thousands of miles apart from our parents. It might be because of work or emigration. So what is the next best thing?
- Contrary to what we mentioned earlier, technology if used wisely, brings people together, so do some video or audio conferencing.
- Purchase plane, train or bus tickets for mom and dad to come over for a visit or vice versa. It need not be on that day itself but at least drop a hint about it during that special day.
- Send a photo with a wonderful frame (if you’re diligent enough, go all the way and make an album) that reflects your happy childhood days with mom and dad.
- Take lots of photos and videos when you do meet – these photos and videos will come in handy in another Mother’s and Father’s Day, perhaps 10 years later.
Gifts for Parents
Have a contingency plan to fall back on. Besides your physical presence, these gifts will still make mom and dad smile because sometimes it’s the thought that counts:
- A bouquet of flowers for the lady, a gift mug for the man. Have the mug customised with a special message from you. It would surely become dad’s new favourite mug.
- A book on mom’s and dad’s favourite hobbies. Allow them to occupy their minds and expand their horizons while you are away. Write a sweet dedication on the inside of the front cover or first page so that they are reminded of you whenever they open the book.
- If you’re not sure of what to get, gift certificates work too. Let mom and dad spend what they like at their favourite store.
The main purpose of this article is really to jumpstart your effort. Explore the web for more tips and other gift ideas for parents. Often, just being with them on any day is good enough a gift from them. The best present any parent could ask for is for their children to be present in their lives.